Here at Persnickety Crane Café, we love to support local. As a local business (owned by a female veteran), we do our best to work with, encourage, and uplift other locally owned businesses. Why is this important? Lots of reasons.
We think that small business has a big role – it is the flavor of a city. Without the flavor, the city loses some of its essence, and lacks personality.
And it’s a unique time for small businesses. Did you know?
- About 65% of all new jobs in the US are created by small businesses.
- COVID-19 has rendered over 30% of small businesses in US non-operational.
- More than 95% of small businesses fail in the first 5 years.
We believe that we bring personality and a positive essence to the 757. We add to the local food scene with our specialty sandwiches like the “Just Trust Us” Ham & Swiss Sandwich, our Barista-created beverages like the Amaretto Breve, and so much more. Moreover, we are unique in that we strive to be an experiential coffee shop and café, with puppet shows, coffee tasting events and live music weekends, amongst other fun events for locals.
We are proud to say that we employ a staff of over 10 people, all locals, who contribute to our culture of excellence and make our shop unique. There are quite a few small businesses that we think add to the “flavor” of Hampton Roads as well!
- Barre By the Bay: Need a new exercise routine? Barre By the Bay in Newport News has a variety of Cycling/Spin, Barre, and Yoga classes, and they are the only local studio offering Infrared Heating with their classes. They offer child care as well!
- Aleen Floral Design: Owned by Karen Roa, and based out of Yorktown, this family business provides absolutely gorgeous floral arrangements for weddings and special occasions. She also does workshops for floral design – how fun! Most of the flowers from our Mother’s Day “Design a Bouquet” event were from Aleen Floral Design!
- Indulge Bakery and Bistro: We get a bunch of our goodies in our pastry display from Indulge! We love their Harvest Muffins (V), Blueberry Crumb Tarts (gf) and Almond Croissants – made by a French baker who bakes very European style! Yum!
- Canvas Coffee Shop: Located in Port Warwick, this laid-back, modern coffee shop roasts their own coffee beans! Try a Cappuccino or an “Iced Hedgehog” when you visit!
We encourage you to stop by Persnickety and to support these local businesses! Keep tasting the “flavor” of Hampton Roads. Help small businesses that are facing a tough challenge but also creating jobs and bringing essence to the local area!
Small Business Association