Because We Should, We Can & it’s Easy
Building a business from the ground up means thinking through all sorts of things – from who will supply our baked goods, to what company will we buy our straws from and how much time/effort/money are we willing to put into ensuring we are being good stewards of the planet. Just because we are not a conservation company or an environmental group doesn’t mean that we can’t make responsible, careful and thoughtful choices. In fact, our mission statement includes being extraordinary. That extends to every part of our business, including how we package and serve our food and beverages. With this in mind, we have opted to supply as many of our goods as possible in materials that can be recycled, composted or bio-degraded.
Did You Know
- 91% of plastic isn’t recycled.
- 8 million pieces of plastic enter the oceans every single day.
- Plastic debris causes the deaths of more than a million seabirds every year, as well as more than 100,000 marine mammals.
- Many businesses, when discussing how they will package their food, will buy the cheapest options – never mind the long term pollution consequences.
- The U.S. alone, throws away enough plastic bottles in a week, to encircle the earth 5 times.
- 40 percent of plastic produced is packaging, used just once and then discarded.
- A plastic bottle can last for 450 years in the marine environment, slowly fragmenting into smaller and smaller pieces which eventually end up microscopic but never truly go away. Every piece of plastic that has ever been produced is still on this planet.
What to Expect with Persnickety Crane Cafe
Being eco-friendly and using natural alternatives to plastic is a little more expensive, but we think it’s worth it to use compostable materials. It’s cleaner, healthier and supports sustainability and longevity of the planet – all things we consider when we think of the future of our children and their children, and so on.
We should take care to not harm animals and not pollute the planet. We can find ways to contribute to solutions rather than be part of the problem. It’s easy to get supplies that are made of compostable, biodegradable or recyclable materials. As a business, we view Persnickety Crane Cafe as a canvas of creativity where we make what we want to see but also something others can experience that is equally impactful. With this in mind, we have opted to supply as many of our goods as possible in materials that can be recycled, composted or bio-degraded.
We believe that it is our responsibility to care for our world and the creatures in it, to ensure a healthy and vibrant tomorrow. So no we won’t have plastic straws, because we care about sea turtles and oceans. Bamboo straws, sustainable paper cups, as well as renewable food packaging are some small ways we hope to have a big impact through sustainability. We’re just one small business, but we believe in the Power of One – every little bit does make a difference over time.
National Geographic | https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2018/05/plastics-facts-infographics-ocean-pollution/
Surfers Against Sewage | https://www.sas.org.uk/our-work/plastic-pollution/plastic-pollution-facts-figures/